WELCOME TO MANNIN SHORTS!
“MannIN Shorts”, based on the Isle of Man, is an initiative to provide a platform for filmmakers of any age and ability to build their skills, develop their ideas and make films right here on the rock, developed by Dave Armstrong and Christy DeHaven ofDAM Productions IOM and their Producer partner Phil Gates of Sonic Productions.
The first scheme started early 2011; an incredible 30 scripts were submitted for consideration before the end of Jan, and our first practical workshop ‘Filmmaking 101’ was over subscribed. After consultation and writing workshops, the scripts were submitted to Danny Stack for judging (award winning screenwriter, and reader for Pathe, Working Titles, UK Film Council etc); Danny had the hard task of shortlisting six finalists for us.
By the end of 2013, we have now run dozens of workshops with visiting professionals in everything from scriptwriting to producing on a budget to acting to directing to sound to cinematography and so much more. Members have received consultation & expert advice and we are slowly building a dedicated community of crews and cast with varying levels of experience, all who are talented, passionate and determined to progress in the field.
Although we initially planned on making just three of the shortlisted six films, FIVE of them have now been made – ‘Closet’(John Craine), ‘I Do‘ (Zoe Guilford), ‘Hide & Seek‘ (Adrian Hall), ‘Barry Brown‘ (John Brimble) and ‘Solace in Wicca‘ (Nathan Russell-Raby). All are in the final throes of post production and are soon to be distributed to international film festivals.
HISTORY & DEVELOPMENT OF THE SCHEME
We introduced the idea in October 2010, with a hugely successful Short Film evening to open the Arts Council’s Isle of Man Film Festival; our panel of invited guests inspired the packed Broadway cinema & paved the way for new talent. Contributors on the evening were:
– Chris Jones (Guerilla FilmMakers Handbook) who showed his excellent Oscar shortlisted ‘Gone Fishing’ (35mm print)
– Hamish Morrow from FutureShorts.com, whose three films were shining examples of the standards that can be reached today in the short genre
– Lee Boardman (actor, HBO’s Rome) and Lesley Manning, who gave a sneak preview of ‘Leila’ their collaborative feature made with students from the London MET
– Dave Armstrong (DAM Productions), one of the Directors behind MannIN Shorts, with the premiere of his much talked about short ‘Ghostgirl’ (shot on the 5D)
– John Craine, new young filmmaking talent from the Island, recently graduated from London Film school and previewing rushes from his short film ‘Pig Tails’, (shot on Red)
Each contributor gave a fascinating insight into the industry from their own experiences & all have given their support to the MannIN Shorts scheme.